Wednesday, March 21, 2007


Got a call this morning my sister, Cathy, was in the emergency room. Turns out it was a kidney stone - thank goodness. Although do not think she has uttered those words yet, the pain still too fresh on her mind. Too scary - but this is exactly why I am back living here, getting those type calls when you are too far away to do anything but sit by the phone and wait so stressful, and I never seemed to get the full story at the time precisely because I was so many miles and states away and there was nothing I could do anyway, or so they would say. At least this way I can jump in the car, be there in a matter of minutes so as to be able to assess the situation, ask doctors questions, etc. And offer comfort and distraction - the main job of a sister in this exact situation. Amen, because then on the way home I decided I was going to stop at this fish place I'd just gotten a flyer in the mail about as I hadn't yet eaten today, turns out the guy who owns it graduated the same year as I (why do all us "almost 50's" feel the need to talk about our age this year so much??!) and went to school with alot of people I knew from catholic elementary school, and one of his best friends was my now-deceased sister's boyfriend of many years. Which made me just shake once I was in the car and heading home from there as all those memories and this-day-could-have-been-much-much-worse thoughts started flooding my mind. Thank you, God.

No comments: