Saturday, February 04, 2006

procrastination = s t r e s s ?!?!

Main Entry: pro·cras·ti·nate
Pronunciation: pr&-'kras-t&-"nAt, prO-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -nat·ed; -nat·ing
Etymology: Latin procrastinatus, past participle of procrastinare, from pro- forward + crastinus of tomorrow, from cras tomorrow
transitive senses: to put off intentionally and habitually intransitive senses : to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done synonym see
DELAY - pro·cras·ti·na·tion /-"kras-t&-'nA-sh&n/ noun - pro·cras·ti·na·tor

I don't know why I do it - procrastinate. Although in reading the above definition I am reminded it is habitual. Yet it isn't the day to day stuff I put off, more the "I don't like doing this" or the "this is going to be uncomfortable" or "this stresses me out" type-things where this behavior erupts with me. I'd have to assume this is typical of most procrastinators? Am I typical???? But I was always taught, "Don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today". Where does this come from???

So, it is ten o'clock in the morning, I have been up for over three hours. I have (I think subconsciously, I don't feel it intentional at all) done everything in my power to put off the inevitable duty I must do today - more sorting and packing of my belongings. And really, although it isn't by any far stretch of the imagination fun, it isn't bad at all once I get the mind-set and get going on it, and I get a real sense of accomplishment from doing what I need do to get moved, in seeing all these stacks of boxes ready to roll. So what the heck?!!

One more cup of coffee........

No comments: