Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I cannot imagine having my computer anywhere but in my art studio, it is as much part of my creative process as anything. I not only use it to scan and tweak photos I use in my work but to generate the text I enjoy incorporating into pieces. And sometimes it is good to scan a piece I am working on to see it in a different perspective. It also is nice to have the connection to others as I do spend hours and hours alone up here. If I sit for instance to sew on a button or take a sip from coffee or just plop my butt down in the chair to ease my stiff back I have the option to read emails from friends and send them my hellos too. Although I don't like IM-ing there are certainly times I back and forth it with my sisters (which sometimes leads to just a scream and picking up the phone as we've really connected at a moment)! And then there's the inspiration - I can spend hours and hours looking and gathering back my muse from what I peruse while in the midst of my own inspiring stuff (and there is certainly loads and loads of it to say the least). It's funny, when looking at houses I thought of putting it on a loft landing outside what I'd thought I would be able to use as my art room in one house - and immediately thought even that would be too far away, although aesthetically pleasing and a good space, it just wouldn't work for me!

I am excited about the new house, it has a walk-out basement that is mostly furnished but directly across the hall from the bedroom I will set up as the studio there is a large unfinished room for storage which is the exact same size. I envision the cinder block walls painted a funky color, ditto the floor and will use it to do all the "messy" stuff such as large-scale painting, sanding, drilling, cutting, soldering, etc - a real workshop where I'll fill the entire center of the room with a table or tables made from sawhorse bases. And I still have another huge room to use for storage that houses the furnace - space I have craved since moving to this little house here as houses in this part of the country don't have basements as a standard. And although I have never been much a basement person (other than wanting it for storage purposes) even all the houses I've lived in have been finished because they tend to be so dark and cold, this one has lots of windows and is filled with so much light.

Guess I'm getting excited to get up there!

No comments: