Wednesday, January 25, 2006

insensitivity



Originally uploaded by blubird.

Something tonight really upset me, the letter I immediately fired off to MSNBC.com follows, and the collage one I had quickly pieced together with pictures in our newspaper those awful days, one I'd posted to this blog months ago now.

I'd like to think nothing shocks me anymore as there are such horrors we visit on the news each night, but I have to say that just two minutes ago while watching the NBC Nightly News and hearing Brian Williams read a few comments from viewers with the attitude of "enough already with New Orleans", I find myself thoroughly shocked. And not only shocked but saddened there are people who lack such compassion for humanity. Have they not been paying attention that next to nothing has been done for a great many of the people of New Orleans who lost their homes, their livelihoods, their ways of life on that fateful day?? This was one of the worst natural disasters the United States has ever endured, fellow Americans are still suffering its effects, and the fact is they will for years and years and years to come.

The nightly news, in my humble view, is not meant for entertainment, it is to inform us of the actualities of our world. There is a great deal which is not pretty in this age we live, and I would hope at the very least it gives us reason to keep those less fortunate in our prayers if not moved or able to help in any other way. I, for one, feel we all need that pause and reminder as we go about our daily lives. Thank you NBC for providing that to us.

1 comment:

firstborn studio said...

amen,sister,amen