Thursday, January 04, 2007


One of my least favorite things to do is dismantle the christmas decorations. I don't ever contemplate taking them down until the day after New Year's as I like to keep the holiday feeling going as visitors drop in and out and the season officially over. The last day, New Year's itself, has traditionally been spent lying around in sleepy mode, football games on the tv, books and tea or coffee in hand and soup on the stove, while I gaze at all the twinkly lights and candles for the last time until next year - a totally comfy way to wind it all down. Well, things are slightly different these days all the way around, but not my putting this off and off and off. My procrastination seems to invade in full force the next day and true to form what's been happening here, I take a thing or two down, dust here and there, rearrange this and that - this goes on for days. It was always my goal to have it all boxed and stored again by January 7th, my youngest, Joe's, birthday so he can have his own celebration with things back to "normal". And even he is no longer living with me as he'll be 22 in just a few days (!) I realize I now have three days left - and alot still to do, ugh! Once accomplished I do though have a sense of relief and a sort of excitment about the clean slate so to speak, and ideas about new pillows or paint or whatever begin flowing. Today I am quite draggy as I seem to have the distinct possibility I might have a cold coming on and feeling more languid than ever. The sun's gone today, too, my energy with it apparently.

1 comment:

katie said...

Happy New Year Mary! Thank you for the beautiful soldered ornament - I LOVE it!! is the little girl with Santa you? You always do such beautiful and precise work, I really appreciate that. This year I didn't even get Christmas cards out - I thought I'd turn it into new Years cards but now I think I just wait till the spring equinox :-) Be looking for a little package coming your way in the next week...
xox