Wednesday, April 05, 2006

sleep, or the lack thereof


Sleep: elusive, frustrating, comforting, much needed - these are all words I have used to describe what for me does not come easy. I don't define myself as an insomniac as I am long past letting it frustrate as it is just not "abnormal", this has been the case for years - and years. I have things I do depending on how I feel when I wake, which is usually around three hours or so after the time I've gone to bed, the maximum time I sleep at one go is usually five. So, if I wake and feel a bit groggy/sleepy I will give it a few and sometimes, just sometimes I fall back asleep. Most of the time I turn on the light and read, I keep alot piled beside the bed. Before moving I'd go upstairs to the art studio and play around on the computer or mess around with a project or two. Since getting here and with the studio in the basement of the house, although a walkout (or maybe especially because of this as there are so many windows and doors), it is cold and I haven't learned yet to pull on all the snugglies I need to keep myself comfortable down here. So far that has resulted in not much time spent here post midnight, but too part of that is I am just now unpacking my supplies and stashes (and stashes and stashes). The pattern since the onset of all this has always been sleep, get up for awhile, go back to bed, start the day again about 7 or 8 o'clock. Do know when I had to get up for work at 5am things were a bit different in I had to maintain some sort of schedule but it certainly curtailed my doing much of anything much of the week, mostly trying to get to bed before the sun even set - pathetic!

The point of all this is I am feeling sort of at loose ends, more tired than I've felt in quite some time yet also too busy getting settled to take the naps I think of incorporating into the day at some point in time when I am starting my mornings. Which, anyway, doesn't do anything whatsoever for sleeping then at night so it is just as well. Life, in most ways, just seems a continuous Catch 22, it's all half a dozen of one, six of the other.

No comments: